Thursday, April 14, 2011

I Consider You Pointless

In Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlie Bucket says to Mike Teavee, "Candy doesn't have to have a point. That's why it's candy."

I gather with you brothers and sisters because it is pointless. You are all useless. I know how that sounds, but I mean it in the best way.

Folks will more readily make time for you if there is a payoff. Of course, if someone is paying for goods or services, the schedule is wide open, isn't it? But there are non-monetary payoffs, like imagined treasures in heaven or the legacy of reputation on this earth. Some people will meet with you if it furthers their entry into a social circle or business network. Some people can find the time for you if you'll become part of their hierarchy of discipleship or mentoring. Some people might consider you worth their time if you have information they want.

But I guarantee you, if I look forward to getting together with you, it's because it is pointless. If I'm genuinely happy to be with you, it is because I have no use for you.

By you should be thinking about the "one-anothering" verses, and the stuff about edification. Surely that's a "point", right? Folks who know me will understand I'm all for that. What I'm saying is that getting together without an agenda creates a vacuum, which sounds useless, but is actually an opportunity for the Lord.

You see, you exist for the Lord, and the question of your usefulness is a question for Him. The question of our usefulness to each other is also  a matter for Him. If I'm getting together with you, I'm looking for His point. We might have our reasons to be in the same place at the same time, but He has His own. We might pick up on His agenda right away, or much later, or never (and that's okay). We have agendas for our encounters which might succeed or fail according to our measure, but it is His agenda which stands, His motive which matters.

I'd love to have lunch with you, or gather unto the Lord in a group, or whatever. Especially if there is no point. Because if it has a point, because if you or I are useful to one another, it will take that much longer to discern the result the Lord is working on.

You are useless to me, and our fellowship is pointless. That's a high compliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment